This time i would like to tell you about my short trip to Karimun Jawa. Probably some of you have already been there, but for you you haven’t. Don’t worry, I will try to share my experience to enjoy the Karimun Jawa. It is located in the North of Central Java area in the Java sea. Karimun Jawa Islands have some small islands and one big island which is the main district. I went on a 3-days trip. For me it is not too much, yet it is enough to enjoy what the island offered. I booked a package for my trip from a travel agent. It would be much cheaper if you arrange everything by yourself, but since it was a long weekend, everything was full booked.
First thing first! Noted this one on your schedule, the best time to visit Karimun Jawa is during May-August because waves are relatively calm.
How to get there?
- By plane, take a flight to Semarang and continue with a flight to Karimun Jawa (the schedule is twice a week: Thursday and Friday). It costs around Rp250.000-one way.
- By boat, this is common one. So basically you can take a boat from Tanjung Emas Harbour in Semarang or from Jepara Harbour which is around 3 hours driving from Semarang. The schedule from Jepara is five times a week (Thursday and Sunday are off). Another information regarding the boat schedule is available on this website (in Bahasa Indonesia)
I took a night train from Jakarta to Semarang. I think this is a good idea, because then you can have sometimes to explore Semarang. You can visit Lawang Sewu, Sam Poo Kong Temple, or Old Town (doable within walking distance from the Semarang Tawang Station). Oh and don’t forget to try the culinary such as Soto Ayam Bangkong and Lumpia. Then, I took a travel (this is a car or a minivan where you can book a seat). You can also spend a night in Jepara since the boat will depart in the morning.
What to pack?
Sam Poo Kong Temple
- Mosquito spray is the most important thing to bring. You don’t want to be bitten by them and get Dengue Fever or Malaria.
- Even though, you may want to prepare to bring an umbrella or a rain coat since the weather can not be predicted accurately. When I went there in early May, believe it or not, it was raining for a few hours and almost ruined the plan.
- And the rest of your yiddi yadda
Where to stay?
- Homestay. This is more like you rent a people spare room or house. The good thing is that this is quite cheap, starting from Rp100.000 per room per night
- Hotel. There are a few hotels in Karimun Jawa. You can choose the expensive one with mmm yea 3 or 4 stars facilities or the cheap one. Here are some of the hotels that you can take a look:
What to do?
Island hopping with snorkeling and diving
I CAN SWIM??
. You can easily book a package for that from your hotel, or you can also book the complete package. Most of the packages are sharing basis, so if you prefer a private then it will cost more. Some of the packages offer a free pick-up service and some don’t, so make sure you ask the details. The next thing you can do is swimming with the sharks
in Menjangan Island. Don’t worry they are nice! If you have some spare time, you can also go for walking
or even hiking
to the Karimun Jawa hills. Usually if you book a complete package, then you don’t have to worry about food, because they will provide everything for you including the fresh barbeque for lunch. Some of the hotels offer food which you can order or there are some small restaurants. In the evening, it is time to enjoy the crowd of night market
to buy some souvenirs, dinner with fresh fish/squid/crab barbeque, or just walk.
get a room you two!!
So yeah. My trip was awesome. Karimun Jawa is indeed worth to visit with the loved ones. Make sure to stay safe and sound! Have a pleasant holiday!